Call them Brinjal, Eggplant, or Aubergine - we just love them! So when we tried our first batch of Aubergine on the Braai (BBQ) we were already excited to taste the result. The succulent, tender texture was better than we could ever have imagined. This is definitely a winner for any vegan (or vegetarian) BBQ menu! And the good news is that it's really easy to prepare.
- Aubergine (any shape will do, although we like how the long ones slice!)
- Spicy Marinade (click for easy recipe.)
- "Top and tail" the Aubergine, and cut into slices 1cm to 1.5cm thick;
- Generously salt the Aubergine slices, and allow them to sit in a colander for 1.5 hours. This process pulls out a lot of liquid which can otherwise cause the Aubergine to have a bitter taste.
- When the salting process is complete, rinse the slices under cold water to remove excess liquid, and pat dry.
- Place the Aubergine slices in a shallow bowl along with the Spicy Marinade, and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes. (This is a good time to put your feet up and grab some vegan 'Shroom "Biltong" to snack on while you socialize around the fire!)
- Once the fire's coals are ready, and the Aubergine has had a good soak in the Spicy Marinade, place the Aubergine slices on the grill. Turn regularly, and with each turn brush some of the excess marinade onto the slices.
- The Aubergine is ready once it is soft and tender. Enjoy!