French Toast had always been a Sunday brunch favourite in our household during our vegetarian days, and so it was imperative that we find a way to make it vegan! After a bit of experimenting, this vegan French toast recipe turned out to be a winner. It's simple and fool-proof, and has saved our lazy Sunday tradition. Enjoy!
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk, or water
- ½ to 1 teaspoon black salt (optional – gives eggy taste)
- Optional: Black pepper, cayenne pepper, chilli sauce, herbs/spices to taste
- Bread (This mixture is enough for 4 slices)
- In a big shallow bowl, mix all the ingredients together (except the bread!). Use a whisk or fork to make sure the mixture is smooth.
- Place your sliced bread in the mixture. Turn over so that both sides of the slices are saturated.
- Heat a non-stick pan. (Add a bit of coconut or vegetable oil if you don't have non-stick!) Place soaked bread in pan. Fry on medium heat until golden-brown. Flip over and fry some more until both sides are golden-brown.
That's it! Serve with cinnamon sugar, your favourite jam, or try a savoury combination with some grilled tomato, vegan cheese, or whatever you fancy. Quick and easy, and just perfect for a lazy weekend brunch.